Summer and fall are the perfect time to schedule your next physical or medical appointment, since doctor’s offices in Thorold and across Niagara are often quieter than during the cold and flu-riddled cooler months. To make sure everything you need is covered, follow these tips from Health Canada:
- Be active and open. It’s important to be honest and upfront about your symptoms, no matter how insignificant or embarrassing they may seem.
- Keep a written record. It’s important to tell all health-care providers—including doctors, nurses, and physician’s assistants—about your medical history and how you are or were being treated for any conditions. They will want to know if you have any allergies to food, medication or other things. It’s helpful to keep a written list of your health conditions and medications that you can easily share.
- Ask questions. Don’t be afraid to speak up during your appointment. Ask questions to make sure that you understand your condition, diagnosis, treatment and recovery. If you don’t ask questions, your health-care provider will think that you have understood everything that they have told you.
- Request resources. If you still don’t understand your health-care provider’s explanation, ask them to explain it in more detail, possibly using pictures or brochures. If the health-care provider isn’t available to help, you should be able to talk to an assistant or a nurse. If no one else is available, see if you can schedule another appointment to continue your talk.
- Report adverse reactions. It’s important to report any side effects to health products, including medical devices, medications and natural health products, to your health-care team and Health Canada, so that they can be addressed.
See Your Pharmacist
As an option to discuss your healthcare, you can also speak with a pharmacist at Henderson’s Pharmacy in Thorold. Pharmacists can assess and provide treatment for common health conditions. Henderson’s pharmacists treat small health problems before they become big ones. Located at 15 Front St., S., Thorold, Henderson’s Pharmacy is open 7 days a week.Henderson’s Pharmacy, 905-227-2511, 15 Front St., S., Thorold
Looking for a Family Doctor?
If you are looking for a Family Doctor in Thorold or surrounding areas in Niagara, you will find information on Health Care Connect in our August blog article. Managed by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Health Care Connect is a program developed to help Ontarians find a family doctor in Thorold and other communities across the province.